It’s a wet Wednesday near the end of the month, a good time for a retrospective to review progress. The Plan is to get out of the office and into the garden, and here’s the status as of 29 March 2017.
Groundwork – drip hose, in progress. I’ve bought a solar powered drip irrigation system to attach to the waterbutt, and my husband reckons he can set it up. But as it’s rained almost everyday we’re not in a rush to deploy irrigation.
Sow seeds – summer veg, done. There’s a lot of little seedlings around on windowsills and in the greenhouse and I’m trying to pace myself so as not to get overwhelmed.
Plant out – early salads, done. Containers – reclaimed pots, yep. Potted up salad, nope.
Harvesting – herbs and salad, in progress. We’ve got a decent set of herbs for the table, but no salad yet.
Cut flowers -spring blossoms, yay! An unexpected bonus is the early blossoms on the established trees in the garden, and how many of the plants I brought from London are in flower already. I cut this lovely bouquet for mum yesterday.
Blogging, build website and email list – in progress. I’ve soft launched an online florist and started collecting an email list. Check out fromeblooms.com
For sale – Spring Flowers, done.
It’s very useful to make a point of checking in on the plan once a month. Highlights have been more flowers than expected. Less encouraging is the vast amount of bindweed that seems to grow at 90mph. Lessons learned this month: plant labels written with a sharpie are not weatherproof, cats will knock plant pots off the bin-shed roof, and you can’t easily dig out an established ornamental quince.
As if doing the plan was not enough, I’ve started making a bouquet a day. Today’s is hellebore, more on that later…